The State Savings Bank was granted
a charter from the State Banking Department on the 24th day of December,
1914, and began operating on January 1, 1915 in Sharpsburg, Iowa. In 1931, a
banking office was opened in Gravity. In 1935, an additional office was
opened in Clearfield. The original bank charter was moved to Bedford in 1945.
In 1977, controlling interest in the bank was sold to Bedford Bancorp,
principally owned by Tad Hammond of Nebraska City, NE. In 1998, the bank
charter was moved to Creston, Iowa. In 2011, Valley Bank & Trust in
Cherokee, Iowa was merged into State Savings Bank.† State Savings Bank currently offers five
convenient locations for itís customers to do their business in Bedford,
Clearfield, Creston, Cherokee and Marcus.
Over the years of operation, the State Savings Bank has been a very
progressive and community-minded business. Area projects have been backed
with personal and financial support. The betterment of any area project has
been our goal. State Savings Bank has been, and continues to be, vitally
interested in the betterment of Iowa and its future.